Sweet apples are balanced out with tart blackberries to give traditional apple pie a face-lift. This Apple Blackberry Pie is perfect for apple pie lovers and even those who find the traditional version too sweet!
I have a confession to make.
I’ve never been a big fan of traditional apple pie.
I would eat it, but I always found the pie to be so overpoweringly sweet that I just didn’t enjoy having it.
When I had the opportunity arise to create a winning holiday dessert that didn’t have to be refrigerated and that was loaded with fruit, I knew I wanted to revamp the traditional apple pie.
This recipe was initially inspired by an Adopt-a-Family type program my office does. The families we adopt have a wide variety of needs. One of the things that is always on their list is baked goods.
If I were having a hard time around the holidays, I know I would miss just having a good dinner. Everyone deserves the chance to enjoy a good meal with family on the holidays. Because of this, I immediately volunteered to make them a gorgeous pie that they could enjoy this season and would be perfect on their holiday table.
And here is when the Apple Blackberry Pie comes in. The genius in this pie, as with my other fruit pies, is the combination of fruits. Apples can be a bit too sweet for me, so the addition of blackberries really balances out the flavors. It is still sweet, and tastes like apple pie, but with an added dimension and flavor profile.
I made a few of these pies until I perfected it to give to this deserving family. And I encourage you all to use your talents to help someone this holiday season. If you love to bake, make them a pie! If you love to draw, give someone a nice homemade holiday card. There is always something small we can do that might make a big difference in someone’s life.
Plus, making a second pie makes the deal just as sweet for me =)
Happy holidays and happy baking.
- Cooking spray
- 2 store bought 9" pie crusts
- 4½ cups peeled and sliced apples (about 4-5 apples, using Fuji or Granny Smith varieties)
- 1½ cups blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 4 tbs all purpose flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a 9" round pie dish with cooking spray. Unroll one pie crust into the bottom of the pan and gently press dough into corners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, blackberries, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Toss until all fruit is covered in flour mixture. Pour fruit mixture into the pie crust.
- Unroll second pie crust and place on top of pie. Seal edges of crust together. Cut 3 to 4 slits in the top of the pie to allow steam to come out.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water. With a pastry brush, brush some egg over entire crust (this is what will help the crust brown).
- Place prepared pie in the oven and allow to cook 40 to 50 minutes or until the top crust is golden brown. Allow to cool 1 to 2 hours before serving.
2. Depending on how full your pie is, some juice might leak out of the pie and onto the bottom of the oven. To prevent this, place pie on a baking sheet when baking.
More gorgeous pies <3