Baked “Fried” Chicken is a crispy and flavorful alternative to traditional deep-fried chicken! It is just as delicious with a fraction of the fat!
Do you remember the times in school where you had to write a paper and when you sat down to write it you put your name in the top left-hand corner and then proceeded to sit there staring at the blank page before you?
That is what I’m feeling now. I’m racking my brain for a fun or interesting story to share with you and I realized that the last few days just haven’t been that eventful. I feel like I’ve got my paper titled and ready but words won’t pour out.
Maybe instead of sharing a lively tale of sorts, I can share with you random facts from my last few days.
1. Our dogs have been barking for the last 15 minutes straight about absolutely nothing. I’m pretty sure the only thing they are seeing might be a ghost squirrel.
2. I’m wearing an Orioles shirt today (Go O’s!)
3. Last night I binge watched some online wedding proposals. Here and here are my two favorites. Oh, and here. (PS. Have you seen any of those before?) You should totally watch all three, they are adorable!
4. I now have “Marry You” stuck in my head after rewatching those proposals.
5. Our air conditioner is cranking right now giving me goose bumps. Why must I live in an icebox?!
Do five random facts about my day suffice as a blog post? Maybe… I suppose I will talk about the best part of this post (other than the wedding proposals).
Baked “Fried” Chicken.
It’s like the best of fried chicken but made better for you!
I saw a recipe for Baked “Fried” Chicken while I was scrolling through Pinterest one evening and decided I had to try it!
The result? Delicious! The chicken is nice and crispy and flavorful from the marinade and spice mixture. Plus it is so easy! All deep-frying worries are vanquished with this dish!
This chicken would be perfect for a family dinner, for a summer bbq, or even for Fathers Day this weekend! It has so many uses! I hope you love this Baked “Fried” Chicken- it was a hit in my house!
- 3-4 lbs chicken breast, cut into tenders
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 tbs salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Combine all spice ingredients in a small plastic bag. Take 1 tbs of spice mixture and combine with buttermilk and chicken in a large freezer bag. Toss to combine and allow to marinate overnight or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (do not use foil). Place butter on pan and set pan in oven while it is preheating. Remove pan from oven once all butter is melted.
- Meanwhile, mix together panko, flour, cornmeal and remaining spice mixture in a bowl. Place about half of the coating in a large resealable bag with half of the chicken, allowing the buttermilk to drip off of the chicken before adding to the bag with coating. Toss to coat chicken entirely, pressing the crumbs into the chicken with your fingers from the outside of the bag. Remove chicken from bag, shake off any excess crumbs, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining coating and chicken.
- Bake chicken at 400F for 15 minutes. Then, carefully turn chicken over and cook for another 10 minutes, or until chicken has reached desired level of crispiness.