Baked Honey Garlic Chicken is both sweet and spicy! It’s a delicious remake on a Chinese recipe, but made healthier!
Happy Friday everyone! Summer is right around the corner so that means it’s time for lightened up food. That is just what I’m doing today with my Baked Honey Garlic Chicken. Full of great flavor, the chicken is baked to crispy perfection!
With as light and crispy as this chicken is, I wonder why I ever fried it! The coating is the same: the trinity of flour, eggs, and panko. But then the plot twists. Instead of plunging the chicken into oil, it is placed on a greased baking sheet, then sprayed with cooking spray, and popped into the oven! The result of the cooking spray is that you still get a nice and crispy chicken nugget but without a lot of the fat! Now that is a change I feel good about!
The crispiness of the chicken is magnified by the Honey Garlic sauce which is sweet, salty, and spicy all at once! It really is a delicious remake on traditional take out Chinese. This will save you money and valuable calories that can otherwise be spent gearing up for the summer!
- 3-4 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Cooking spray
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 3 tbs sriracha
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a baking sheet with 3-4 tbs olive oil. Set aside.
- Prepare three separate dishes: one with flour, one with the beaten eggs, salt and pepper, and one with panko breadcrumbs.Working in batches, coat chicken on both sides in flour, then seasoned eggs, and finally panko (shaking off any excess flour and panko).
- Place chicken in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Spray top of chicken pieces with cooking spray (this will help make the tops crispy). Bake chicken pieces in oven for 20 minutes or until chicken is crispy.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare the sauce. Place a saucepan on medium heat. Heat 1 tbs of oil until warm and add minced garlic, sauteing just until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add honey, soy sauce, sriracha, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together water and cornstarch. Add mixture to honey garlic sauce and heat through.
- Add cooked chicken to the sauce and gently coat chicken in sauce.
- Garnish the chicken with sesame seeds and serve warm with rice.