Don’t settle for drab buffalo wings when instead you could enjoy these Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps! Wrapping the chicken in lettuce and garnishing it with tomatoes and creamy avocado make this meal stand out in a crowd!
I’m not positive, but I’m pretty sure Italy isn’t getting that it’s now mid-September and that I want fall food. You know, good casseroles, pumpkin spice everything, and delicious baked desserts.
It appears, however, that the weather doesn’t want to usher in the crisp, cool fall air yet and insists that it instead be 95 outside. Yep, it was 95 here yesterday. That is waayyy too hot for mid-September.
I just want my fall weather! I want to shuffle through leaves on the sidewalk and crawl under a blanket at night.
The one piece of fall that I can cling to is that football season is back. Now that the weather can’t stop!
So what comes to mind when you think about football food? I think of wings, hotdogs, pizza, dips, and anything buffalo. The last part is what is my inspiration for today’s post-Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps.
Now I’m sure you already have an arsenal of buffalo everything recipes stashed away on Pinterest, but these wraps definitely need to be added to that list. They are just as tasty as a regular buffalo chicken wrap but with less guilt! In swapping out the tortilla for some lettuce and nixing the cheese, we save about 240 calories per serving! Now I won’t go so far as to say that these wraps are ‘healthy’, but they could be a lot worse!
The crispy chicken strips absorb all of that spicy and buttery buffalo sauce beautifully. Then, the fresh tomatoes and smooth and creamy avocados balance out the spice of the chicken. Finally, the whole meal is held together beautifully with a piece of light, buttery, lettuce.
This wrap really couldn’t get any better if it tried. It is a fun take on traditional buffalo wings and makes chicken a new, fun, and beautiful thing to eat. Bring this to your next party and it will be sure to impress all your guests- and even yourself!
- ¾ lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ¼ cups breadcrumbs, seasoned or plain
- Canola oil (about ¼ cup total)
- ½ cup hot sauce
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- 6 leaves bibb or boston lettuce
- 1 avocado, chopped into cubes
- 1 tomato, sliced into slivers
- Blue cheese or ranch if desired
- Prepare the chicken. Place flour, egg, and breadcrumbs in separate dishes. Dip each chicken strip first into flour, shaking off any excess. Next, dip each strip in egg and then into breadcrumbs, pressing in slightly. Shake off any excess breadcrumbs.
- In a skillet over medium heat, preheat a thin layer of canola oil. While the oil warms up, line a baking sheet with paper towel and set aside.
- When the pan is warm, cook chicken strips until browned on each side, about 2 minutes per side. Once cooked, place chicken on lined baking sheet and allow the oil to drain for 2 minutes.
- While the chicken is resting, make the buffalo sauce. In a large bowl combine hot sauce and butter. With tongs, quickly toss one chicken strip at a time into the buffalo sauce, making sure to coat both sides.
- Once tossed, set chicken aside and assemble the wrap. Place one lettuce leaf on a flat surface. Top with a buffalo chicken strip (or two). Then, add desired amount of avocado and tomato. Top with blue cheese or ranch if desired. Best served warm or at room temperature.
- 1. Add oil as necessary to the pan while cooking the chicken. You will want the pan to always have a thin layer of oil that covers the bottom. This ensures that the chicken browns properly.
- 2. Do not let the strips just sit in the buffalo sauce. This will make the strips lose their crispiness!
Want more buffalo? Try these Buffalo Chicken Meatballs!