Carnitas Rice Bowls are an easy and skinny dinner idea! Throw the pork in the slowcooker, slice up some veggies, and you are ready to eat!
Hello lovely readers! Yes, I’m finally back!
The last few weeks have been crazy! (Hence, the lack of consistent or frequent posts). Mid-April I was busy trying to finish up my classes before I left for Italy so I was working nonstop on that (and hey, it worked because I got all A’s this semester). Then, I finally did get to Italy and had to settle in and unpacked. Then, I had to repack because I just spent the last 10 days in Spain and Portugal!
When I was working on my undergrad degree I did a summer study abroad in Madrid, Spain. I absolutely loved Madrid and knew I needed to go with Matt when I got back to Europe so I could show him around. It was cool seeing the school I used to study at, the nearby park, and the apartment complex where I stayed. It was definitely a throw back but revisiting it again affirmed my love for Madrid <3
After spending a few days there we headed over to Lisbon, Portugal. Neither Matt or I had been there before, so it was cool to see a different city and learn about it’s complex history. In a strange way Lisbon reminded me of San Francisco. Lots of hills and a bridge nearly identical to the one in San Fran. Oh, and trolleys.
Well, after that long trip I am actually glad to be back and in my routine again. Traveling is amazing, but there is nothing quite like your own bed. Am I right?
My first recipe up is the one for these Carnitas Rice Bowls. It just sounds delicious.
The pork for the salad is tossed in a slowcooker and allowed to simmer until the meat easily tears apart. Then, you basically just add in whatever lovely toppings you want and enjoy! It is a really great, skinnier meal that will also fill you up. After eating a whole bunch of sweet treats the last two weeks, I know my waistline will need it!
Cheers and I will try and share some pictures soon!
- 1 2lb pork loin roast, excess fat removed
- 1/2 white onion, cut into 5 pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 1/2 cups salsa (see my salsa recipe below!)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15oz) can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3 whole leaves romaine lettuce, julienned
- 1/4 red onion, slivered
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lime
- 1 green onion, chopped, to garnish
- To taste: salsa, hot sauce, or sour cream
- Prepare the pork. Combine all pork ingredients in the crockpot and allow to cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4-5. Once cooked, remove pork from the slowcooker and tear apart with two forks. Set aside.
- Once the pork is cooked, cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, prepare beans, corn, tomato, lettuce, and onion. Cut the lime in half and squirt juice over avocado chunks, tossing to coat.
- To assemble bowls, pour prepared rice into the bottom. Top with some romaine lettuce, corn, beans, tomato, avocado, onion, and green onion. Top with salsa, hot sauce, or sour cream if desired. Serve.