Eating these Carrot Cake Muffins is like having dessert for breakfast! They are just as tasty as the real cake but made with less sugar and more carrots! It’s a perfect go-to muffin recipe!
As a blogger, I routinely try and go out into the blogging community and see what it is that other bloggers are making. Around Easter I noticed a plethora of carrot cake everything recipes. I was pleasantly surprised because my boyfriend LOVES carrot cake. And I mean loves it. Seeing all the fantastic posts out there made me want to make something of my own to feed him! Since I am somewhat health conscious, I wanted to try and make something a little bit lighter in sugar and calories, so I decided on Carrot Cake Muffins. Matt will be one happy guy with a few of these fresh muffins for breakfast tomorrow! I think I can even trade him these muffins in exchange for a steak dinner tonight. Sounds like a good trade, right?
These Carrot Cake Muffins are so amazingly moist. Sorry, I know many of you hate that word but it is just what they are! They are full of flavor and texture and perfectly mirror a carrot cake without adding unnecessary fat! Now, I won’t go so far as to say they are healthy, but I will say that they could be worse.
Plus they are so easy, which is something I need after this weekend. This weekend was crazy busy because we decided to take a day trip to the little island Ischia off of the coast of Naples. It is absolutely gorgeous there! It is the closest thing I can think of to what paradise must be like. If you have the chance it is a must see! I will be posting photos once I get through the end of semester crunch. But anyways, we ended up missing the last ferry off of the island so our day trip suddenly turned into a weekend trip.
For those of you who know me, you know that I am a major planner. I like to know exactly what is going to happen and when it will. Needless to say, a sudden overnight trip without my tablet, change of clothes, makeup, or toothbrush was a little stressful for me. We did find a hotel and bought ourselves some toothbrushes. And I can’t complain. It was gorgeous. Matt and I had the chance to have a nice dinner by the water, get a little dessert, and take a romantic stroll down the city streets. I guess if you have to be stranded that is the way to go.
It was really a perfect weekend (minus the unexpected night and rock hard bed). During the day we got to ride a moped around the island (which I highly recommend because it’s cheap, convenient, and a GREAT way to get around the island). We also did some shopping where I picked up a few gifts and a gorgeous ceramic clock for myself. Being in Ischia and in Capri is like heaven. Beautiful, coastal, and romantic. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.
Prep time 50 minutes, Makes 12 Muffins
- 1/2 cup plain applesauce
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 and 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 and 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots (about 5 carrots)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- 4oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 tbs powdered sugar
- 1 tbs milk
- Nuts for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a standard muffin/cupcake pan with paper baking cups and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together applesauce and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Combine flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Begin gradually incorporating the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, beating just until combined. Add carrots and chopped nuts to the mixture and stir gently until incorporated.
- Fill baking cups 3/4 of the way with batter. Place in the preheated oven and bake 18-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the muffins cool, prepare the frosting. Beat cream cheese, sugar and milk until thoroughly combined and fluffy. Spread a thin layer on top of cooled muffins and sprinkle with nuts if desired.
Like this recipe? You might also like my Chocolate Chip Muffins