Creamy and supremely cheesy, Chicken and Broccoli Mac and Cheese can be put on your table in just 30 minutes! Chunks of chicken and broccoli jazz up this dinner-time favorite!
So remember that one time where all I posted for a whole week was mac and cheese recipes?
Me too. That was a good week =)
It’s almost been a whole year since that week and since then I haven’t posted ANY mac and cheese recipes. None.
That is nearly unspeakable.
I have to say, mac and cheese is one of those foods that I simply never get tired of. If I had to choose a favorite food mac and cheese is definitely up there. That and pasta with seafood in it.
It just never gets old. How can you not love that cheesy, warm, gooeyness? Or the fact that it is like a bowl of comfort? I’m pretty sure that’s impossible.
Well in homage to my love affair with mac and cheese (sorry Matt), I knew it was time to post another recipe. And boy is it yummy!
By bulking up the mac and cheese with some chicken and broccoli, this dish is transformed into a nice and hearty dinner! The best part is that it is so quick too! Just 30 minutes is all it takes to put together this crowd-pleaser.
You take a bite and it is so creamy and cheesy and delicious. Then you get a cheesy chicken bite or a fresh broccoli bite and you too will be in heaven.
It definitely was a hit in my home and I’m betting it will be in yours too!
- 1 (16oz) box rotini noodles
- 1 (16oz) bag frozen broccoli florets
- 2 rotisserie chicken breasts, chopped
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or any cheese blend you like)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add rotini noodles and cook according to package directions. Once cooked, drain and set aside. While the pasta cooks, microwave frozen broccoli according to package directions. Set aside once heated through.
- Next, melt 3 tbs butter over medium-low heat in a large skillet. Once melted, add flour and whisk until fully combined. Allow flour to cook for 1 to 2 minutes, whisking frequently. Add in 1 cup of milk, whisking until mixture has thickened and no lumps remain. Add remaining 1 cup of milk and chicken broth and whisk until well combined. Reduce heat to low and add cheese and all spices to the sauce, whisking until cheese has melted. Once melted, toss prepared pasta, broccoli and chicken into the skillet and mix until the cheese sauce covers all of the ingredients. Serve warm.
- If you find that the cheese sauce is too thick, add in some more milk or chicken broth to loosen up the sauce