Chicken Tostadas are a fun, simple, and healthy mixup to your Mexican night! They are like tacos but made better!
Do you ever experience any musicians whose music can take you to another time and place? Ones who can give you peace, hope, excitement, or even fear?
Sitting here writing this post, I am being transported myself to the sweet sounds of Frank Sinatra.
Frank, my dear friend.
I feel like his music has the power to transform a busy and hectic day into one that is calm, simpler, and more romantic. Listening to his music transports me to older times, where people dressed fancier for the everyday, and danced cheek to cheek. I can just picture myself at an old fashioned club like you see in I Love Lucy, wearing a long dress amplified by tulle at the bottom, my hair pinned back with a small cocktail hat, holding hands and dancing with my honey on a floor filled with other young couples. I can see Frank up on the stage serenading us with his smooth music.
This euphoria has erased the frustrating day I had into a peaceful one. Sitting here with my ice cream I could simply get lost in the sound and in my thoughts.
This calm has put me in the perfect mood to talk about a fantastic dinner- Chicken Tostadas. What a fiesta of flavors this is, and it’s healthy for you! I keep thinking how perfectly it would go with a Blackberry Margarita or my Fresh Tomato Salsa…
Chicken Tostadas are like tacos but better! They are piled high with lettuce, tomatoes, beans, corn, cheese and chicken making this a fun mixup for Mexican night! Plus, did I mention that it is so simple to put together and is healthy for you??? What could be better than that?
Having a lighter dinner like this definitely validated my choice to indulge in some ice cream and Frank Sinatra this evening. Sounds like a pretty good night to me =)
- 6-8 small, flour tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 (15oz) can corn
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray both sides of tortilla with cooking spray and place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- Place a skillet pan over medium heat and add 1 tsp olive oil. Heat until warm and add corn. Cook corn until warm and slightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Remove corn from pan and set aside.
- Add chicken pieces, chili powder, cumin and cayenne into the pan with the remaining 1 tsp olive oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add reserved corn and black beans to the skillet to heat through.
- Once heated, prepare the tostadas.
Love this Mexican inspiration? Check out these other Mexican favorites!