Chickpea, Cranberry and Grain Salad is a hearty and tasty salad perfect for lunch! This simple salad is packed full of delicious cranberries, couscous, chickpeas, and avocado!
Have you noticed that it has been an incredibly long time since I’ve posted a salad recipe? Like, seriously. It’s been months. And the funny thing about it is I love salads! There are so many great things you can do with them because they are so versatile!
I definitely need to eat more salad. Since I work mostly nights, I’m always working during dinner time so I never have the chance to sit down and eat a good meal. Usually I try to scarf down something quickly before I go into work and have a dinner roll while I’m there. Lately I’ve been coming home starving so I’ve been heating up soup or trying to make something healthy so all that I’m eating doesn’t go directly to my waistline. (Hey, I’ve got a wedding to slim down for!)
One salad that definitely needs to enter my after-work rotation is this Chickpea, Cranberry, and Grain Salad. It has so many protein packed ingredients it really is a power bowl! The chickpeas and couscous add some great protein to this salad and help bulk it up a little. Then you have all those other amazing toppings like the feta, the cranberries, and that avocado. Yum =)
The salad is hearty and filling without weighing you down. It is full of flavor and a nice graininess that many other salads don’t have! This is the perfect late night snack or bring-to-work lunch idea!
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked couscous
- 1 (6oz) bag fresh baby spinach leaves (about 11 cups)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon or lime
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 green onion, sliced (white and green parts)
- In a medium, microwave safe bowl, place vegetable broth and bring to a boil in the microwave. Remove from the microwave, add couscous, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Flake with a fork when cooked through.
- Meanwhile, chop spinach leaves roughly and place in a serving bowl. Add cooked couscous, chickpeas, cranberries, and pecans. Remove avocado from skin and dice. Place in a small bowl. Squeeze juice of lemon or lime over the diced avocado and toss gently with a spoon so all pieces are covered with juice. Add coated avocados to the salad bowl. Finally, top with crumbled feta and sliced green onion.
- Serve with your choice of dressing (vinaigrette are especially good for this dish)