This is such a quick and easy cupcake recipe, you’ll have these to devour in no time! These cupcakes are deliciously moist from the buttermilk and vegetable oil. I absolutely love buttermilk in my baked goods, and using vegetable oil instead of butter saves time, because there is no creaming involved, which also means no mixer required – bonus!
The chocolate frosting is just perfect. It’s thick, rich, fudgy, melt-in-your-mouth, and complements the light, fluffy, golden cupcakes beautifully.
You can follow me on:
Thank you for having me, Shelby!
- 1 and ¼ cups (156g) cake flour
- 1 and ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup (150g) caster sugar (white granulated sugar)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup (115ml) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (120ml) buttermilk
- ¾ cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (250g) icing sugar (or powdered sugar)
- ¼ cup (25g) cocoa powder
- 2 - 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 36 Smarties Mini Eggs or Cadbury Mini Eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin cases/cups, and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs. Add the sugar, and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla extract and vegetable oil, and whisk until combined. Mix in the dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups, filling only ⅔ full. Bake for 15 - 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until pale and fluffy. Add the powdered/icing sugar, cocoa powder, milk, and vanilla extract, and beat until light and fluffy. Add more milk to thin out if desired.
- Transfer the frosting to an piping bag, or use a knife to frost the cooled cupcakes, and decorate with Mini Eggs.