This strata is brunch perfection! Chorizo and Corn Strata is a fresh take on overnight egg dishes and casseroles!
Hey look- a breakfast recipe!
Those of you who follow my blog know that I am not a big breakfast person. I am very particular and find I only like a few things for breakfast. But every now and then I make an overnight breakfast casserole and find a reason to like breakfast again.
This Chorizo and Corn Strata gets me there. I love this for a few reasons.
- It’s an overnight casserole. Preparing breakfast the night before and just heating it up in the morning is amazing
- It feeds a crowd (aka me for the entire week)
- Chorizo is life
- I could eat corn til it grew out of my ears so putting it in breakfast is #winning
Are those sufficient reasons for you?
But seriously, it is tasty. I love how light and fluffy the bread gets. I love the spiciness of the chorizo. AND I love the sweet bites of corn throughout. It’s full of a variety of flavors that changes a little with each bite!
If my breakfast was like this every day, maybe I would eat it more often!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 lb. Spanish style chorizo, casings removed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chilies
- 1 (15.25oz) can corn kernels
- 2 cups milk
- 8 eggs
- ½ tsp hot sauce
- ¾ tsp salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 French baguette, cut into 1" slices
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add in chorizo and cook for 3 minutes or until beginning to brown, breaking up the meat with the bottom of your spoon. Add in chopped onion and continue to saute until the meat has fully browned and cooked, about 5 more minutes. Drain and set aside. Drain green chilies and corn kernels and stir into the chorizo.
- In another bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, hot sauce, and salt. Grease a 9x13" baking dish and place bread slices in the bottom, tearing bread if necessary to fit bottom of pan. Top evenly with corn and chorizo mixture and cheese. Pour the egg mixture onto the bread. Cover the baking dish and allow to sit 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Bake the strata uncovered for 1 hour or until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes and serve.
Other breakfasts I enjoy: