Chocolate cupcakes are made extra decadent with the addition of Greek yogurt! The treat is topped with light cream cheese frosting, making these Greek Yogurt Chocolate Cupcakes perfect for a celebration!
Guys, guess what?
It’s my birthday!
Yep, 23 was a good year. I left my previous job, started GEAR, traveled abroad and spent several months in Italy (where I am right now!), got to see Paris and California, moved into my first place with Matt, started my masters program and saw one of my best friends get engaged.
One of the biggest changes I made at 23 is that I decided I wanted to do what made me happy. I had spent my entire high school and college career working my butt off to get ahead so I would be happy when I was working right out of college. I got a job quickly enough, but I didn’t achieve the happiness I wanted. I decided that life was too short to do anything but what makes you feel fulfilled and happy. Therefore, I left my previous job and went to pursue my passions. One of these was going to live abroad short term with Matt. He is such a huge part of my life and my happiness that I wanted to satisfy that aspect of my life.
The second passion was food. I didn’t think about creating a blog for months ahead of time, but instead just sort of started it once I left my job before school started to keep me busy. What was a fun thing to do has since turned into a part time job and one that I dream to make my full time job. I love trying new recipes and constantly learning from myself and from all the other amazing bloggers out there. I love how supportive everyone is of one another. It truly fosters a sense of commonality and togetherness.
So that was the biggest thing that happened. I made the decision to be happy. I will still try my best at everything I do, but I am making more of a conscious effort to do what is good for me. Life is too short to spend your life miserable. Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.
So, to celebrate 23 and bring in 24, I knew I had to make one of my very favorite desserts: Chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. After all, the combination of chocolate cake and vanilla frosting is the best.
What is unique about these cupcakes though is that they are baked with one of my favorite ingredients- greek yogurt! I love hiding that stuff in recipes because it is so good for you and adds such a nice flavor to food! In these cupcakes, the greek yogurt makes the cupcakes super moist and tender! (No dried out cake here!)
Then to top it off I made my favorite cream cheese frosting. There is just something about that cream cheese. I love the tang of the cream cheese without it being overly sweet like regular vanilla frosting can be.
The combination of vanilla and chocolate is divine, and so are these cupcakes! The sweet cupcakes are intensely chocolatey, moist, and tender. Then, the frosting is just sweet enough to let the cake shine while still making itself known. The result is a cupcake that is a combination of all of my favorite flavors and in the form of a mouth-watering cupcake!
I hope you enjoy these cupcakes! I’m going to go eat three more of these and celebrate my birthday =)
- 3/4 heaping cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp ground espresso
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Sprinkle of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a standard muffin tray with paper baking cups.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, espresso, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, beat softened butter and sugar together until creamy. Add in egg and vanilla extract, beating well.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, adding in Greek yogurt gradually as you go. Stir mixture until combined (batter will be thick). Scoop batter into the muffin cups, filling batter about 2/3 of the way from the top. Bake cupcakes in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool out of the muffin tin for at least 10 minutes.
- While the cupcakes cook and cool, prepare the frosting. Beat all frosting ingredients together in a bowl until creamy and no lumps remain. Set in the fridge to chill until ready to frost.
- Cake recipe adapted from Secret Ingredient
Want more sweet treats? Try these out!