This Holiday French Toast Casserole is soft, sweet and decadent. The freshness of the blueberries add the perfect pop to this special breakfast!
There are two fabulous holiday’s out there that are worthy of an especially amazing breakfast: Easter and Christmas. In my house, those are the two where we will all sit down as a family and enjoy a special breakfast.
That special breakfast is this Holiday French Toast Casserole. The casserole is crispy on the outside and soft and gooey on the inside. Then it is topped with these wonderful nuts that are crispy and sweet from a sprinkle of brown sugar. Then finally it is topped delicately with blueberries for a nice pop of freshness. It is the perfect decadent celebratory breakfast, even though it is easy enough to make for the everyday!
And what’s better is that this is a true, homegrown, family recipe. The recipe comes from my Grandma Gail, who used to (and still does!) make this religiously for our Christmas morning breakfasts. My mom and I love it so much that we keep it going for Easter breakfast too! It is just the perfect start to special days of the year.
And after all, how can you beat Grandma’s recipe anyways?
Active Prep Time 15 minutes, Inactive Prep Time 8 hours 35 minutes, Serves 6-8
- 12 slices day old French bread (sliced 1 inch thick)
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 and 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts work best)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Arrange bread slices in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, 3/4 cup brown sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking to allow the casserole to come closer to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the bread. Sprinkle on remaining sugar and melted butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400F for 25 minutes. Remove pan from oven and add blueberries to top of dish. Bake 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.