Lemon Meringue Pie is the perfect Easter treat! It is full of great lemon flavor and a light as air whipped meringue. It is sunshine in a pie!
This lemon meringue pie is something else. Just taking the photos of it I couldn’t limit myself to just a few to post! I seriously had like 15 of them that I loved! But this pie deserves it!
This recipe comes to me from my mom. My mom in turn got it from the back of a jello box. But hey, great recipes can come from anywhere right? I can’t even think of anything I would change about this pie. It is light and lemony with foamy meringue. Plus the color on it is gorgeous!
My mom and I also like to make this pie because my dad, a notorious sugar lover like myself, doesn’t like lemon! More for us!
It was baking dishes and desserts like this that really helped inspire my love of food. This pie is so simple and fun to put together. There is something just so rewarding about making a fantastic end product from an array of simple start products. It becomes even better when you can create your own recipes that cater perfectly to your own tastes!
Try this pie out for Easter or for any week you need a little sunshine. It is fantastic! (And licking the bowl is totally acceptable here)
Prep time 50 minutes
- 1 raw store bought pie crust
- 1 3oz box of lemon flavored jello
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 and 1/4 cups water
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 eggs whites
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- In a greased 9 inch pan, prepare pie crust according to package directions. Once cooked, remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a small pot, stir together pudding mix, sugar, 1/4 cup water and 2 egg yolks. Once combined, whisk in 2 cups of water.
- Place pot on medium heat and heat until the mixture reaches a full boil, whisking constantly. Once boiling, remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes, stirring only twice.
- Once cooled for 5 minutes, pour filling into the pie crust.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Next, prepare the meringue. Beat the egg whites on high speed with an electric mixer until eggs begin to foam. Gradually add in sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over the top of the pie so that meringue reaches edges of pan.
- Bake pie for 10 to 15 minutes or until the meringue is begging to brown slightly.
- Allow pie to cool 4 hours at room temperature or 2 hours in the refrigerator before serving.