This Mexican Frito Popcorn is a delicious remake of a traditional snack! It is spicy, buttery, crunchy, and perfect for a party or a Friday night at home!
There you hear it, the dull hum of a microwave punctured by pops. A bunch pop all at once then you hear the popping slow down slightly until the pops become irregular. You open the microwave door and are hit with the aroma of buttery, salty popcorn. It brings memories back to you of being a child and having a night at home and hearing that wonderful sound emitting from the kitchen. Maybe it reminds you of going to a movie theater and having the butter drenched experience in the perfect row at a movie. Just the mere sound of popcorn can bring up such memories.
I love hearing the sound of the popcorn in the microwave. It reminds me of the Friday nights when I was growing up that I begged my parents to make me some popcorn as an after dinner snack.
Now that my parents are much less likely to make it for me, I am tasked with it on my own. Does anybody else ever worry about exactly how long it has been between pops? Not knowing if it truly has been a second or two between pops so you leave the bag in the microwave only to find later that you burnt most of the bag? What stress!
In an effort to master my popcorn time keeping skills, I have crafted a new mix on popcorn- Mexican Frito Popcorn.
This recipe is so simple and so quick. The mix has a nice zip to it from the chili powder and cumin, as well as a nice cheesiness and crunch from the Fritos. (If I do say, the Fritos are definitely the best part in this mix).
You won’t be able to stop at just one handful, it is so addicting!
Prep time 5 minutes
- 1 bag popcorn (not kettle corn)
- 2 cups Fritos
- 2 tsp mexican hot chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 tbs butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded cheese (sharp cheddar, mexican cheese blend, or monterrey jack)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Pop bagged popcorn according to package instructions. Pour onto baking sheet.
- Toss popcorn with Fritos, chili powder, cumin and butter.
- Top popcorn mixture with cheese.
- Place pan in oven and bake for four minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Best served warm but can also be served at room temperature.