Step up your game day tailgate with these Pigs in a Blanket with Cheese Dip. Full size hot dogs, crisp puff pastry, and decadent cheese sauce make this addicting!
We interrupt your regularly schedule healthy eating posts for a special announcement.
Pigs in a Blanket with Cheese Dip.
Do I have your attention now?
So with the playoffs and upcoming Superbowl parties, I think it’s high time for me to share some party appetizers that I’ve been dreaming up for weeks now.
First up, Pigs in a Blanket with Cheese Dip.
Why go mini when you can go all in?
These hot dogs are so juicy and tender. Then they are rolled in a crispy and light puff pastry. This combo dipped in a rich and tangy cheese sauce is amazing!
So go all in over the next few weeks and make these for your next game day party.
Happy cooking, and Go Packers!
- For the pigs in a blanket:
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough, thawed
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ tsp dried minced onions
- ½ tsp poppy seeds (optional)
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- For the cheese dip:
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll out puff pastry dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 8 triangles (triangles will not be perfect, but you really just need to divide it into 8 strips of dough). Separate each triangle and top with cheese. Place each hot dog on the wide end of each triangle and roll up the hot dog in the puff pastry triangle. Place on the baking sheet.
- Lightly brush beaten egg over the puff pastry on each pig in the blanket. Evenly sprinkle minced onions, poppy seeds, and garlic salt on top of the pastry. Place in the oven and allow to bake 20-25 minutes or until the puff pastry is lightly browned.
- While the pigs in a blanket cook, prepare cheese sauce.
- In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter. Once melted, add flour and whisk to combine. Cook flour for 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbly and nutty brown.
- Gradually mix warmed milk into the flour, whisking to remove lumps. Once all the milk is incorporated, allow to thicken for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Add cheese to the sauce and whisk until fully incorporated. Add in mustard and red pepper flakes. Whisk until blended. Turn off the heat.
- Once the hot dogs are done cooking, remove from the baking sheet and serve with the cheese sauce on the side.
2. If you finish the cheese sauce before the pigs in a blanket are done, turn heat off of sauce. Two minutes before the pigs in a blanket will be done baking, turn heat back on and add 1-2tbs milk to the cheese sauce to loosen it up to reheat.
More game day apps to love!