Prosciutto Caprese Bites are the perfect blend of classic Italian ingredients. The prosciutto, tomatoes, mozzarella and basil combine to create a flavor explosion in just one bite!
After spending six weeks in Italy I grew quite accustomed to a few Italian dishes: chocolate croissants (cornetas di cioccolata), caprese salads, buffalo mozzarella, cappuccinos, and pizza. With the warm days rolling in, I’ve been craving some of these ingredients again.
What I wanted to fuse together was the mouth-watering caprese salads with the salty, cured prosciutto I loved, served with mouth-watering mozzarella cheese. The best kind of mozzarella cheese there is mozzarella di bufala (buffalo mozzarella cheese). This is the softest most amazing cheese in the universe. The creamy mass practically melts when you put it in your mouth. It is the bomb.
Since buffalo mozzarella isn’t always the easiest to find, I substituted it with the softest fresh mozzarella I could find. It is worth every penny.
After skewering the tomato, basil, mozzarella, and prosciutto onto a toothpick of deliciousness, I topped it with traditional Italian condiments- olive oil, salt and pepper. While I was in Italy the caprese salads were always topped with a simple olive oil and a few simple spices.
All of these flavors create the perfect Italian fusion that recreates all of those flavors that I loved over the past six weeks and can’t wait to get back to in September.
These cute little bites will hold me over until I can indulge into all of those fresh flavors again!
- 22 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 ball fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 22 cubes roughly the size of the tomatoes
- 6 slices prosciutto, cut in fourths
- 8-10 basil leaves
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Salt and pepper to season (about 1/4 tsp of each)
- Working one at a time, take a toothpick and skewer it with one tomato, 1/4 to 1/2 piece of basil, mozzarella cheese cube, and prosciutto piece.
- Once all ingredients have been skewered, drizzle olive oil over bites. Sprinkle on salt and pepper.
- Store in a cool place.