More and more, red velvet cake and it’s variations have become synonymous with Valentine’s Day. And why shouldn’t it? It’s delicious after all. I am mixing up the traditional red velvet cake with my red velvet cookies.
These cookies are so simple to make and will definitely have you feeling the love. These cookies are so delightfully soft and cake like. The edges of the cookie are just crispy while the inside is as soft as cake. It is a bit like the top of a muffin (and we all know the top is the best part).
Want to make it even more special? Consider adding white chocolate chips to the batter or sandwiching some cream cheese frosting between two cookies. Yum!
You and your valentine will be sure to enjoy these! So grab your favorite cuddle buddy and a movie, and enjoy your Valentine’s Day, the right way, with my Valentine’s Day Funfetti Cupcakes, my Molten Lava Cake, or these delicious Red Velvet Cookies!
Prep time 45 minutes, Makes about 28 cookies
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1 and 1/3 cups granulated white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbs milk
- 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tsp red food coloring
- Powdered sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add milk, vanilla, lemon juice and food coloring to the bowl. Beat until combined.
- Slowly add the reserved dry ingredients into the mixing bowl until dough just comes together and is mixed.
- Place dough on pan in balls about the size of 2 tablespoons. Bake 14 to 15 minutes.
- Allow to rest on the sheet for a minute before transferring cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Once cooled completely, dust cookies with desired amount of powdered sugar.
Other Valentine’s Day recipes featured in this post