Surprise your sweetie with a unique and romantic breakfast- Red Velvet Waffles! Served with a sweet cream cheese glaze, these waffles can be put together in just 30 minutes!
I personally love Valentine’s Day. I know some people hate it, but I just can’t get enough of it. What’s not to like? It is a holiday about love afterall! I love all the red and pink decorations in the store, all of those adorable stuffed animals, and the chocolate everywhere! Oh and that’s not even mentioning flowers. I like when my fiance sends me flowers any day, but especially if it’s on Valentine’s Day =) One thing I’ve always wanted though that I never got was one of those giant stuffed animals. Like the really huge pink dogs with heart spots on them. I just think they are so adorable. So just saying *cough cough* if my fiance is reading this…
Anyways, to celebrate last year I made a whole week out of it- sweet week! I made some decadent Molten Lava Cake, some chewy Red Velvet Cookies, and finally a Valentine’s Day Funfetti Cupcake! How could it get much better than that?
Well since I routinely post sweet treats anyways on my blog, I decided this week I would mix it up and post meal ideas for Valentine’s Day (or even an anniversary)!
First up, breakfast. And what could be more romantic than Red Velvet Waffles?
Have no fear! These waffles are super easy to put together and are so tasty! The waffle is nice and fluffy, slightly sweet and chocolatey. Then, the real star is that cream cheese glaze. Tangy and not overpoweringly sweet, it is the perfect accompaniment to these waffles. I really lathered mine up in that glaze!
So be it for your Valentine’s Day breakfast, an anniversary, or just because, you definitely need to try out these Red Velvet Waffles!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 11 drops red food coloring
- 1 (6oz) container reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 6 tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk, butter, vanilla and vinegar, whisking to combine well. Pour wet ingredients into the bowl with dry ingredients. Add in food coloring and whisk to combine fully.
- Cook waffles according to the directions on your waffle iron (being sure to grease the pan with cooking spray).
- While cooking the waffles, prepare the cream cheese glaze. Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Slowly start adding the powdered sugar and milk to the cream cheese, alternating between the two. I added my powder sugar in 1/2 cup increments and splashed a little milk in as I went along. Beat with an electric mixer until well incorporated.
- Spoon or drizzle glaze over warm waffles and serve immediately.
- 11 drops of food coloring seems like a lot, but it is needed! If you do not use enough food coloring your waffles will instead be a brownish color- not so red velvet like!