Rigatoni in Spicy Rose Sauce is an easy 30-minute meal! Italian sausage, garlic, tomato sauce and cream all give this dish amazing flavor!
If I had one food to eat for the rest of my life I’m pretty sure I would choose pasta. There are so many options with it! It can be lemony or herby, spicy with a tomato broth, rich and creamy alfredo… Then you can add in shrimp, or chicken, or spinach or artichokes or anything else amazing! PLUS you get to top it with cheese! How can you go wrong with cheese?
AND AND AND you can serve it with some amazing crispy or buttery bread and a beautiful little salad. All pulled together with a smooth glass of wine for just the perfect supper.
Have I made my pasta addiction clear yet?
If not I can go more into my love of pasta…
Well, at least let me tell you about this Rigatoni in Spicy Rose Sauce.
If you are unfamiliar, rose sauce is a combination of both a tomato based sauce and a cream. The result is a sauce that can be chunky and spicy, but also have the smoothness of a cream based sauce. The sauce in this is kicked up a notch with red pepper flakes and spicy Italian sausage. Pour it over rigatoni noodles and you have yourself a meal!
The sauce is just spicy enough so as to not overwhelm your palate. Then the thick rigatoni noodles absorb all of that saucy goodness, it is just spectacular. And since it can be prepared in about 30 minutes, it is a weeknight go-to!
I initially saw a similar rigatoni on Pinterest from Spicy Southern Kitchen and just fell in love with it! The photos were so gorgeous I had to try it! After altering it some to my own taste, Rigatoni in Spicy Rose Sauce was born!
Enjoy and happy cooking!
- 1 (16oz) box rigatoni noodles
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 lbs hot Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook rigatoni noodles according to box directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Once heated, add onion and cook 1 minute. Add in Italian sausage and break up meat with a spoon until it is in crumbles. Cook Italian sausage until brown throughout, about 8 or 9 minutes. In the last minute of cooking, add in minced garlic and cook until sausage is done.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, parsley, salt, basil, garlic powder, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to the saute pan and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer 5 - 10 minutes. Add in half and half and stir until sauce is creamy.
- Add reserved rigatoni to the saute pan and toss in the sauce. Garnish with parsley or parmesan if desired.