Roasted Eggplant and Lentil Dip makes healthy snacking easy! Flavored with garlic and lemon juice, it is both fresh and flavorful!
I’m back, I’m back! I apologize for my brief hiatus last week. You see, whenever I’m in a transition phase, recipe testing just seems to go out the window.
So here’s what happened. At the beginning of last week Matt and I were spending a few days in Belgium- which was gorgeous. I truly believe it is the most beautiful place I have ever been. I even shared a picture from Bruges that week on Instagram, were you able to catch that?
Well after Belgium I had 2 days to pack up all my stuff in Italy to mail it back to the States. Unfortunately I won’t be back in Italy again while Matt is there so I had to pack it up and send it all off (all while trying to carefully measure how much my suitcase weighed without a scale). Then on early Friday morning I left to come back (and of course, that is an all day journey).
So it was just a hectic week. But, now I am back home and trying to get into the swing of things again here. Since it always takes me a bit to get used to everything back at home, I went for a really easy and delicious snack that is also really good for you- Roasted Eggplant and Lentil Dip!
Now I will say I’ve been meaning to make this dip for weeks now. It just seems whenever I would make my meal plan for the week I just never had room for it! Well here it is finally and it was totally worth the wait.
This dip is loaded with great flavors. The roasted eggplants and lentils create a nice, earthy base to this dip. Then, the garlic and lemon juice really make it pop by lightening it all up some more. Not only is it perfect to dip pita chips and veggies in, but it is also a great spread on sandwiches! It is very similar to hummus, but instead of being made with chickpeas it is made with eggplant!
Some might also call it a baba ganoush type dip but with my own flair. And, since this dip is full of amazing, wholesome ingredients, you can feel free to indulge!
- 2 eggplants
- ⅓ cup lentils
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cumin
- Serve with: pita chips, crackers, vegetables, or as a spread on breads and sandwiches
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside. Prick both eggplants with a fork and place on the prepared baking sheet. Place in the oven and allow to cook until eggplant are soft throughout, 30 to 40 minutes. Once cooked, remove the eggplant from the oven and allow to cool.
- While the eggplant cooks, prepare the lentils. Combine lentils and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover pot and reduce heat and allow to simmer until lentils are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Once eggplant and lentils are cooked, assemble the dip. Cut eggplant in half and scoop out filling (leaving skin and excess water behind). Place eggplant filling and lentils in a blender with all remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Chill until serving.
Try these other easy snacks!