Salty and sweet, these Pretzel Butterscotch Cookies are the perfect treat! These cookies are soft, chewy, and delicious!
Happy September! Now that it is no longer a “summer” month I instantly wanted to make pumpkin cookies. But then I saw it is supposed to be 93 degrees later this week and decided against it. Pumpkin cookies will have to wait. At least until it’s in the 70s. Maybe.
I love September. Not only is my birthday later this month, but I love it because it is the start of fall, my favorite season. I love fall colors and fall leaves. I love wearing cute fall clothes and seeing pumpkin everything out at stores. Plus, it is just around the corner from the holiday season.
So really, what is not to like?
Well instead of baking pumpkin cookies I decided I still needed to get some fall baking out of my system so I made up a batch of these Salty Sweet Pretzel Butterscotch Cookies. These are definitely fall worthy.
The genius in these cookies is in the salty sweet combo. The cookie dough is sweet, as are the chocolate chips, but when it is loaded with pretzels and butterscotch, plus a pinch of sea salt, these cookies are the perfect snack! Plus they are nice, soft, and chewy- the greatest kind of cookie!
I suppose I’ll eat a few more of these until I can reasonably make pumpkin things again…
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cups brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped pretzel twists, plus more whole pretzels to top the cookies
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup butterscotch chips
- Coarse salt, to garnish
- In a bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. Mix to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Slowly add flour mixture to the bowl and mix just until combined.
- Add chopped pretzels, chocolate chips, and butterscotch chips to the bowl and stir just until combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set oven to 350F. Scoop dough into 1 to 2 tbs sized balls on the baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between each cookie. Top each dough mound with one whole pretzel and additional chocolate chips or butterscotch chips if desired. Place in the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden brown.
- Chill dough between batches to keep cool. Once cookies are done, remove to a wire rack to cool and after two minutes sprinkle each cookie with a little coarse salt if desired. Store in an airtight container.
2. Recipe adapted from Cookies and Cups.