A classic made skinny- Skinny Alfredo Sauce! This remake is just as creamy and delicious as the one you already know and love, but so much better for you!
While I feel like I should really be loading up on the last of fresh produce that is available before the fall comes, I also really love pasta. And I mean love. But pasta isn’t always the best for you. You can do a good tomato sauce, which is so great, but sometimes you just want a rich, creamy, thick alfredo sauce. Ya feel me?
Well to compensate for my pasta cravings, I decided I needed to find a nice Skinny Alfredo Sauce. And this one is delicious. It is just as creamy and delicious as the classic version, but is made so much better for you! Plus it can be made in the same amount of time it takes to cook pasta! How amazing is that?
But what makes this alfredo sauce skinny, you ask? Typical alfredo sauce is made with a lot of butter and a lot of heavy cream. Butter and heavy cream translate into fat and calories. And that just isn’t what we really want. So THIS already is skinny because it cuts both. Instead of butter I use a little bit of olive oil. And instead of cream, I swapped in low fat milk and chicken broth. But have no fear, the sauce is still creamy! The flour base helps thicken it up so it is just as thick and creamy as the alfredo sauce you already know and love!
So now we really have no excuse not to enjoy a lightened up version of this classic dish.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbs all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1¼ cups low fat milk
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add in olive oil and allow to heat up. Add garlic to pan and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the garlic is fragrant. Add in flour and stir to combine. Saute an additional minute to cook the flour.
- Slowly add chicken broth to the pan, whisking the mixture until smooth. Whisk in milk and stir constantly until sauce comes to a simmer. Reduce heat and stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Whisk until melted.
- Turn off the heat and toss pasta or veggies in the sauce, or move it to an airtight container for storing. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Complete the meal with these sides!