So I had to hijack this recipe from my mom resulting in a last minute/spur of the moment blog post. Hence, only one lowly little picture for a soup that deserves much more.
When my mom informed me that she wanted to make this soup, I initially jumped right in saying I wanted to cook it and post it on my blog. However, Saturday rolled around and it was a gloomy, rainy, cold day that left me wanting to do nothing but curl up in bed. This worked for most of the day as I spent the majority of it on Skype with my boyfriend. Saturday’s are our date nights so we routinely will eat lunch together (which is dinner for him because he is 6 hours ahead) and watch a movie. Initially it was my pick to choose the One Direction This Is Us movie, but unfortunately the movie I had was not working. Bummer…. so I was then forced to watch Commando with him….. a bit of a guy movie for sure but not as bad as I thought it would be. Even though it was a fighting movie, it was made in the 80’s so it was a little bit easier for me to handle…
But nonetheless, back to the soup. So because of our date I didn’t get off of Skype until about 7:30 pm my time which meant that dinner has already been served. So I mozied on downstairs and found the soup simmering away in the crockpot. Oh well… I won’t be able to take as many photographs for my blog but at the very least I could still talk about it!
And it was a perfect day to talk about it too. Soup is the perfect cold and rainy weather, long day comfort food. And this recipe makes it even easier. One, it is a crockpot meal so you can just throw all the ingredients in there and leave it. But two, it is so soothing. It’s the kind of soup that sticks to you and makes you feel better just by tasting it.
It was perfect. I got to sit on the sofa and watch the Ravens beat the Steelers while enjoying this soup. I hope that you come to enjoy it as much as my family and I do.
Prep time 15 minutes, Serves 4
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 10 3/4 oz can reduced sodium cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup rinsed and drained wild rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbs flour
- Rotisserie chicken white meat, diced
- In a slow cooker, combine broth, soup, onion, celery, carrots, rice, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours or until rice is tender. Add diced chicken.
- In a small, separate bowl, mix together sour cream/greek yogurt and flour. Gradually stir mixture into slow cooker.
- Increase heat to high. Cover and cook an additional 20 minutes or until mixture has thickened and bubbles around the edges.