This Steak Salad with Caramelized Red Onions is full of amazing flavors! Feta, dried cranberries, cherry tomatoes, and homemade croutons all make this salad pop!
Hey party people! =)
Ok, so I really don’t have much of a party going on today beside this salad. My mom is coming out to visit Matt and I for two weeks so lately I’ve been busy making travel arrangements for us. To me, I get really anxious knowing there are so many travel unknowns out there, so the only way to deal with it is to make it all more known! So, in the last few days I’ve booked almost all of our lodging and our train tickets. I just need 3 more days lodging and I’ve basically got it all. Go me!
In the meantime, I’ve also been working on the most flavorful salad ever. Like really. Every ingredient in this Steak Salad with Caramelized Red Onions adds something amazing to the dish! Of course, you’ve got a nicely cooked piece of steak on top cut into thin slices to make it super easy to eat. Then, I have these slightly sharp but also sweet caramelized red onions. Add in some salty feta, tart dried cranberries, juicy and sweet tomatoes, and crispy homemade croutons and you really have it all! What other flavors could you ask for?
It reminds me of something you could get at a fancy restaurant somewhere but is made so easy and in just 30 minutes at home!
Now that I’ve devoured my salad, back to trip planning.
- 2 slices whole grain bread, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 red onion, cut in half then into slices
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 lb steak cut of choice (I used a thin chuck shoulder)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups lettuce mix (or 1 bag prepared lettuce leaves)
- 7 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 tbs dried cranberries
- 3 tbs feta cheese
- Salad dressing of choice (like a red wine vinaigrette or olive oil and vinegar dressing)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Place bread cubes on a baking sheet and place in the oven and allow to bake until bread is thoroughly crispy (about 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saute pan on medium heat. Once melted add sliced onions and cook, stirring frequently, until caramelized (onions become soft and browned), about 10 minutes.
- In a larger saute pan, heat olive oil on medium high heat. Remove any excess fat from the steak and season both sides with salt and pepper. Cook steak to desired temperature. Once cooked, remove from the pan and set on a cutting board for 5-10 minutes to allow the juices to soak back into the steak. Then, slice steak thinly and at a slight diagonal.
- Once the bread cubes are toasted, the onions are caramelized, and the steak is cooked and has rested, prepare the salad. Place lettuce on desired serving dish and top with sauteed onions, steak, bread cubes, cherry tomatoes, cranberries, and feta cheese. Toss with desired salad dressing and serve.
Serve these with your salad!
Or try another salad, like this BLT Wedge Salad!