Tangy Pulled Pork with Crispy Slaw is a flavor party! The sweet and spicy pork pairs perfectly with the cool, crisp slaw!
Remember how a few months back I was telling you all about Matt and I’s date nights in my Sesame Chicken post? (If not you should totally check it out!)
Well this Tangy Pulled Pork with Crispy Slaw is another proud product of those date nights. After being wore out from work lately, all I wanted was something simple. And even though I love pasta, I have had enough of it this week and wanted another easy meal alternative. Knowing Matt is a major barbecue lover, I thought a crockpot pulled pork would be the perfect dish! It can be prepared in little time and tastes absolutely amazing. The best part though? It’s in a slow-cooker so you can put it together and then forget about it!
I put mine together at about 1am this past Saturday night (or I guess technically Sunday morning) after returning home from a really long day of work. It worked perfectly because I could set it in the crockpot and when I woke up in the morning I would have the pork prepared for our date.
The result? Perfection.
The pork is warm and juicy. The vinegar and mustard combines with the sweetness of the brown sugar and molasses giving the pork a nice tang. Then the crispy coolness of the coleslaw adds a nice crunch and creaminess to offset the more acidic pork. The two combine to create a perfect blend of flavors and textures. It is that good!
And when I need easy, what could be better than that?
- 3.5lb pork roast
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup spicy yellow mustard
- 3 tbs lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 tbs molasses
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 head shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
- 3 tbs milk
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs dijonnaise
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Prepare the pulled pork by trimming any excess fat off of the meat. Set aside. In a crockpot, whisk together 1 1/2 cups water, vinegar, ketchup, mustard, 2 tbs brown sugar, and molasses. In a separate bowl, combine remaining 1 tbs brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper. Rub spice mixture all over pork, gently massaging the spices into the meat. Place pork in the slow cooker and cook on low 7-8 hours, or until meat is extremely tender.
- Once the pork has been cooked, remove the roast from the crockpot and set on a cutting board. Skim fat off of the surface of the sauce in the crockpot. Next, using two forks, shred the pork removing any bones or excess fat. Return the pork to the crockpot and keep warm until serving.
- Next, prepare the slaw. Toss together cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. In a small separate bowl, combine all remaining slaw ingredients. Pour sauce over slaw and toss to combine. Set in fridge to cool slightly before serving.