Delicious and flavorful, this Tortilla Soup is simplicity at it’s best! Super healthy, and made in minutes, it will become one of your new favorites!
Have I mentioned before how much I love soups? Like I mean L O V E soups- especially when the weather is chilly!
Here are the reasons why I love soup:
- Talk about comfort in a bowl. No one ever wanted to snuggle by the fire with a celery stick. No. They wanted to enjoy the warmth of the fire with either hot chocolate or, you guessed it, soup.
- Delicious! The flavors get to combine and simmer, blend and marry until they become this delectable perfection of a meal.
- Variety! There’s about a bagillion different kinds of soup out there so you can never get tired of one!
- It makes your whole house smell good. A big pot of soup simmering on top of the stove in the evenings makes your whole place smell amazing!
- They are so fun to experiment with! I love cooking soups in particular because I love mixing and matching ingredients, adding spice or adding sauces to it. As long as you start small with your test ingredients, it is so easy to customize and play with!
Can you tell I like soup?
(Did I really just spend all that time sharing reasons why I love soup? Blog writing at its finest here)
But really, all those reasons are true. This Tortilla Soup is one for the recipe box. Not only does it meet all my criteria above, but it is also super healthy for you! There really isn’t anything bad in the soup. Nothing but wholesome, vegetable and brothy goodness.
Nextly, it is super simple to put together. The whole meal took me 35 minutes to put together from start to finish- and clean up is a breeze!
Finally, it is delicious. The warm tomato broth accented with hints of green chili peppers gives this soup a nice heat and deep flavor without being overwhelming. Then, served with those delicious tortilla strips on the side, it is a real knockout!
You really can’t go wrong with this recipe. It is a classic mom recipe and is perfect for these chilly days!
Happy cooking! (Or should I say- Happy Souping!)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 4oz can green chilies, chopped
- 2 15oz cans Italian-style stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 2-3 burrito sized tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add all remaining soup ingredients to the pot and simmer the mixture for twenty minutes.
- While the soup simmers, prepare the tortilla strips. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Cut tortillas into wedge sized pieces or strips, trying to cut the pieces relatively uniform in size. Place tortillas in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spray tortillas with cooking spray and then sprinkle on chili powder and garlic powder to taste.
- Cook the tortilla strips for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted and crispy. Serve with the soup.