White Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream are an easy homemade treat! The cupcakes are light and fluffy, while the frosting is fresh and decadent!
Happy Cupcake Lovers Day!
Let’s celebrate with White Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream.
I mean, come on. What a perfect holiday.
I had to think of just the right cupcake to celebrate. Usually I delve into anything chocolate, but I figured I’d mix it up with a totally chocolate free cupcake.
Bring in White Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream. With fresh strawberries in season, this frosting is a must. It is very simple and has great strawberry flavor without being overpowering.
And what better balance to a strawberry buttercream than a light, fluffy white cupcake?
The cupcake is moist, soft, and tender which is the perfect vessel for a thick and delicious buttercream.
Btw, do you know what the difference is between white and yellow cake? The eggs. The cake consistency is fairly similar with the exception of how you use the eggs. Yellow cake uses the whole egg, while white cake uses only egg whites, thus keeping the batter a lighter color.
Who knew, right?
So celebrate with me and enjoy a cupcake or two today!
- 1⅔ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- Cooking spray
- 1¼ cups sliced strawberries (about 10 strawberries)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with paper baking cups and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and ½ tsp salt in a medium bowl.
- In a larger bowl, beat together melted butter, white sugar, Greek yogurt, milk and vanilla extract until well combined. Add in egg whites and beat until incorporated.
- Gradually beat reserved dry mixture into the wet mixture, beating only until it is just combined.
- Pour batter into muffin tins, filling each up ⅔ of the way. Place the muffin tin in the oven and allow the cupcakes to bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the cupcakes from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack until they are no longer warm.
- While the cupcakes cool, prepare the frosting.
- Grease a small pan with cooking spray and place on medium heat. Place the sliced strawberries in the pan. Allow the strawberries to cook down until thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Break up the strawberries as necessary with the back of your spoon. Strawberries should be simmering the whole time. Once thickened, remove from the heat and allow to cool 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat softened butter until creamy. Add in vanilla extract and 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat until incorporated and creamy. Add in half of the strawberries and beat until smooth. Repeat this step by adding in another cup of powdered sugar and the other half of the strawberries.
- Add in salt and remaining 1 cup of powdered sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Frost each cooled cupcake and serve.
More cupcakes to love!